Below you will find info on how to get to the area, along with some travel tips. Other area activity suggestions will be posted shortly.
If you’ve never been to the area and would like some travel planning assistance, that is one of Lisa’s fortes! Just email Lisa at demelogue AT gmail.com and let her know what kind of assistance you are looking for.
Experience festivities will be held between the towns of Meursault and Lyon, with most days close to the town of Meursault; Saturday’s activities will all be based in Lyon.
Beaune is located in the heart of the Côte d’Or, 40 minutes south of Dijon and 1.5 hours north of Lyon.
Distance to Beaune:
– Dijon: 46 km (29 miles) 40 minutes
– Lyon: 156 km (97 miles) 1.5 hours
– Paris: 312 km (194 miles) 3 hours
- Closest major airports are at Paris (3+ hours) and Geneva (2.5 hours).
- Closest smaller airports are at Dijon (40 mins) and Lyon (1.5 hours).
TIP: British Airways offers an air/car combo that’s typically a nice discount overall. They also allow paying just a deposit at first with the balance due a few weeks before departure.
TIP#2: A great timesaver for researching airfare options is by using a travel agent. Pam Hester is our go-to for booking airfare; she thought of ideas that only a person in the travel agency could think of, saving us hundreds of dollars overall. Contact Pam at PamH@travelsociety.com.
TIP#3: New Regulation: The U.S. State Department now requires a 3-hour advanced check-in time for all international flights coming into the U.S.
There are regular trains departing from Dijon Gare to Beaune. It takes only 20 minutes and is one stop away. Beaune has a direct link from Paris-Bercy by Regional Express train (3.5 hours). However, it is faster to take the TGV from Paris-Lyon to Dijon and connect to a local train (2.5 hours). There are occasionally services from Paris-Lyon directly to Beaune, without the need to transfer.
– 2.15 hr* from Paris (via a connection in Dijon)
– 1.45 hr* from Mulhouse
– 1.40 hr* from Lyon
* Time by the fastest route based on train journeys provided by SNCF, arriving in Beaune.
Rental cars are also available at train stations.
Rental cars are available at all major airports.
Beaune and its surrounding region is particularly well served, as it’s at the crossroads of the A6, A31 (towards Dijon, then Lille or Nancy) and A38 (towards Besançon, Basel).
TIP: Most cars are manual, so be sure to request automatic if needed! And no worries, you do drive on the same side of the road as in the USA.
TIP#2: Check with your car insurance carrier as well as your credit cards to see if they cover rental car insurance in France. More info here: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/rental-car-insurance-quotes-europe/
The most reliable taxi services that we have heard of are:
- Eric Begue, based in the centre of Chagny, telephone 03 85 91 24 73
- Beaune-Taxi (0)6 06 800 400
And yes, Uber is also in Beaune – www.uber.com
Where To Stay
As most of the days will be near the town of Meursault, finding a place in that general vicinity would be best to save on driving time.
- Beaune tourism site – Great recommendations in all categories from the local regional tourism group
- Homeaway – We have had the best luck finding great houses for rent here; another nice perk of Homeaway is that you only need a deposit upfront.
- AirBNB – Nice house options here as well!
- Booking.com – This was always great for hotel options but now they have expanded to offering vacation rentals as well. And some have deposit-free options, free cancellation, etc.